A day in the life…

A day in the life of a part time house flipper …

Ever wonder what the wife of a DIY junkie, mom of four, with an addiction to taking on way too many things at once does in a day? (probably not but now I bet you’re kind of curious) Here is my Saturday run down, and it’s pretty typical for my crazy fam:

Before I go any further, I should say that my husband just had a vasectomy. Um, like yesterday. And we just closed on an investment property. Um, like two days ago. Not like everything at once, right?

So, we of course felt the need to go scope out our new project. That was our intention, to simply look around. So we pack everyone in the car and headed over to see what we got ourselves into.

And oh boy, did we really get ourselves into something. Nasty carpets, falling ceilings, busted water pipes, questionable wiring, and crack induced remodeling (the nosy neighbor’s words, not mine). The bones are good, but there is a lot of shit that needs to be ripped out to get down to those bones. So in true Shawn fashion, my husband is freaking out and being a total Debbie downer. Not to mention, waddling around with ice on his you-know-what from his recent ”procedure”๐Ÿ˜.

I, on the other hand, like to take a more positive approach. I love finding little surprises that we have missed in the nervous, hectic bidding stage. Like the stained glass window, or the staircase, the mature viburnum and lilacs, or the front door with THAT HARDWARE๐Ÿ˜

So after I convince Shawn not to jump out the third story broken window and make him crack a smile, we get to work. He is working on getting the water up and running. The water that was supposed to be winterized but clearly wasn’t. In between icing sessions of course.

And I am put to work power washing the grime off the house. With a 7 month old on my back, I might add. Then, with said seven month old on my back, I take the ‘easy’ job of getting the leaves off our section of 100′ sidewalk. Which turned out to be like 30 years of leaves and debris condensed into four inches thick, in which, I may have discovered a new species of earthworm.

All in all, it was a successful day. Kids were good, Shawn and I didn’t fight (too much), we made progress on the house. Oh wait, I promised a day in the life. That was only like 6 hours. When I’m not so exhausted, I’ll chronicle the rest of the jam packed 18 hours of cleaning horse poop, chasing loose pigs, tantrums, tenants, and of course, being a landscaper’s wife.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this:
search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close